Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Movin' To The Music

Solid Gold DancersWhen I was a kid, I wanted to be a Solid Gold Dancer when I grew up. (I kind of still do, but I think that ship has sailed...). I loved hearing the music and seeing how it could drive movement.
 
And as I grew up through the Michael/Janet Jackson era, I started to emulate other's moves, eventually finding my own rhythm.  I never did venture out to see if I could actually make it onto Solid Gold, but I do love to move to the music!  Music can make anything more fun, especially if you're shaking your booty to the beat!   Try it!  Clean the house, wash the car, go for a run!  Move to the Music!


Music Moves Me in every way!


As I journeyed through the ups & downs of being a teenager, I also recognized that lyrics combined with just the right sounds had the ability to not just move me physically, but emotionally!  The soundtrack of my life is exciting, depressing, happy, sad, a little hardcore and a bit of soft pop.

DanceWhich is why, for my long runs, I have to have just the right combination of songs on my playlist. I'll even time my songs to give me just what I need when I think I'm going to need it.  If you see me out running on the road, there's a good chance I'm singing - and possibly even dancing (with my head and hands) - as I run.  I'm sure it causes people to chuckle, but I don't really care! "Dance like no one is watching", right?

So, I thought I'd share a few of my fave songs with you, along with what moves me about each song.  I'd love it if you'd return the favor! I'm always looking to add to my playlist!!!!

Diesel Tunes

"Thunderstruck", AC/DC: I will start with my finish.  Everyone should have a "run out of the tunnel" song.  You know, if you're introduced to a large crowd, what song do you want to run out of the tunnel to?  The beginning of "Thunderstruck" is my tunnel song.  I always time this to match it up with my expected finish time. Love hearing "you've been...THUNDERSTRUCK!!" as I sprint to the finish!

"Firework", Katy Perry: At the Disney Marathon, they started my corral to this song...a little bit 'bubble-gum-popcorn' for me, but for that moment it was perfect! I start every race to this song:  "Do you ever feel already buried deep six feet under?  Scream but no one seems to hear a thing Do you know that there's still a chance for you,  'Cause there's a spark in you?  You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine.  Just own the night like the 4th of July! 'Cause, baby, you're a firework, Come on, show 'em what you're worth!"

"How Far We've Come", Matchbox Twenty: First, love it because of a fun choreographed kickboxing routine I used to teach - I'll be punching and running!  Secondly, love the build to the end, "Let's see how far we've come, let's see how far we've come!!"

"Lose Yourself", Eminem:  I like Eminem.  His emotion seems to always seep into his music.  Lyrics like "Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity  to seize everything you ever wanted, one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip?" keep me focused.  This song is a good "marathon pace" song for me, too.  It's a bit slower than what I want to run, but I know if my feet match the beat then I'm good for the long haul.

"All the People in the World", Safri Duo:  Another one from my group fitness days.  This is the hardest spinning/RPM track I've ever taught.  It takes grit and determination to finish the track on a bike and I can tap into that feeling when this song comes on.  Plus, it has a killer bongo beat!!  Worth a listen if you've never heard it before!

"Shake It Out", Florence + The Machine:  Oh, where to start??  Great song about moving on..."hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off"...and is loaded with strong emotion.  Plus, I just love Florence Welch's voice!

"'Till I Collapse", Eminem (feat. Nate Dogg):  A must for any runner's playlist!!  The intro to this song is one of my absolute most favorite motivational quotes.  A great song for the end of the run when I'm starting to question my own sanity...

"The Champ", Nelly: I first heard this while watching Game Day on ESPN.  It has a fun football theme to it - and I love football!!  But it's the lyrics that I like the most.  It's all about hard work and determination.  This is the song I put in right before "Thunderstruck" to keep me going hard to the finish.  "'Cause today is the day that I have always dreamed of..."!

"The Fighter", Gym Class Heroes (feat. Ryan Tedder):  Another perfect end-of-the-run song. The lyrics are great for when you are really ready to throw in the towel.
33f63622779a615509d8f0e0640510f5"Give em hell, turn their heads, Gonna live life 'til we're dead.
Give me scars, give me pain. Then they'll say to me, say to me, say to me,
There goes the fighter, there goes the fighter, Here comes the fighter
That's what they'll say to me, say to me, say to me, This one's a fighter."
"Madness", Muse: So, this is just a cool song.  Kind of deep.  Kind of dark.  Has a hint of Nine Inch Nails.  What I like the most is the tempo.  It is a perfect "happy pace" song for me. Once I get my feet matched up to the beat, I feel like I'm dancing!! A nice mid-playlist song for the long runs!

"Can't Hold Us", Macklemore:  I like this song because it has that football-band sound to it. I have it in the mix just to have something fun to listen to about mid-run or so.  The ending lyrics are pretty cool, too: "Let the night come, before the fight's won, some might run against the test. But those that triumph, embrace the fight cause their fears then prove that courage exists."  Oh yeah!!

"Fix You", Coldplay: OK, so I get goose bumps almost every time I hear this song!  The music seems to lift me right off of my feet.  I honestly think I could put this song on repeat and run forever!  The lyrics are beautiful and make me think of my two kiddos.
"And the tears come streaming down your face when you lose something you can't replace.  When you love someone, but it goes to waste...Lights will guide you home and ignite your bones.  And I will try to fix you."
 
"Run the World (Girls)", Beyonce:  Such a fun "girl power" song!!!  "Who runs this mutha?  GIRLS!".  I mean is there anything more to say than, "Strong enough to bear the children, then get back to business!".  Hell. yeah.


So, those are a few of my favorite running tunes.  Again, please let me know what you are listening to!!!   Look forward to hearing from you!

Run Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment