Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Mind Games

10, 12, 14...my mileage for the last three Saturdays!  What is so AMAZING about that, you ask?  Well, each week, once finished, I would have told you I could not have taken one more step; that it was so hard; that I was exhausted, spent, and completely out of gas.  And yet, just one week later, I successfully added two more miles!!!

So, here's what is AMAZING: the mind is the strongest and most persuasive organ in the human body.  Did I suddenly increase my fitness level in 7 days?  No.  Was the weather drastically different? No.  Did I run a less hilly route?  No.  Did I know what my training program required of me? YES!  Did I know that I couldn't stop until I was finished? YES!  Did I know that unless I push I cannot improve? YES! YES! and YES!!

It is all about Mind Games.


It's learning to cheerlead for yourself.  It's telling yourself to ignore the fatique and just keep running!  It's inventing a badass alter-ego and naming her Diesel!!  Conversely, it's knowing how to quiet that inner voice that tries to tell you you can't do it or whispers comparisons having to do with not being faster, better, healthier...

Perhaps the most AMAZING thing is we think we are out there day after day, week after week training our bodies when the absolute truth of the matter is we are out there training our MINDS!

Run Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment