Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What's Your Story?

Story5“Everyone has baggage.  It’s just that some carry Louis Vuitton while others carry brown paper sacks.”

I had a friend tell me this once and it has always made me laugh. And it’s true in that we all carry around our past experiences in some form or fashion – they have made us who we are and created our view of both our internal and external worlds. We judge circumstances and people based on our Baggage. We make decisions based on our Baggage. And we fiercely stand on our Baggage when it comes time to defend our actions and reactions to others – when we are absolutely right and they are so absolutely wrong! However, we all try to act like our Baggage isn’t there. We try to hide it and pretend we’ve “let it go” and that “the past is the past”. Or worse – we harbor shame because we won’t own it.

So, here’s a thought: what if we were able to sit back and see our baggage as one big Story? I had this experience recently during a…let’s call it a “disagreement” with the Hubs. We had taken sides, which were polar opposites of each other, and we were really dug in. So, in an effort to restore communication, I asked if I could tell him a Story. (P.S. That’s a great way to start a conversation, by the way, because not very many people will tell you no…). I proceeded to tell him a Story, which was a little piece of my past (opened up some of my Baggage) that I was sure completed supported my ‘side’ of the argument. I just knew he was going to give in and tell me I was right and profusely apologize for being oh so wrong…

Well, guess what happened. He had a Story to tell, too. But you know what else happened? We listened to each other’s Stories and we were able to work towards more of a middle-ground. We owned our own stories, recognized them for what they were and how they made us act towards each other and respected the fact that each of our Stories made us who we are today.

Story1

So, now I ask you: What is your Story? What makes you who you are? Why do you do the things you do? Does it change your perspective when you stop calling it Baggage and start claiming your Story? Do you start to forgive yourself, give yourself a break, see yourself for who you are? Can you see that you are the Whole of many, many Parts as a Story is made up of Chapters?

Story4What about those around you? What is their Story? Why do they do the things they do? Does it help you to be kinder, more understanding, a little more forgiving and graceful towards them?

Now, please do not misunderstand me and think that I’m okay with people using their Stories as an excuse or a crutch for doing or being a certain way. What I would hope is that when you see your Story for what it is, you can start to write new Chapters that find you becoming a more insightful, complete person who knows that there are truly at least two sides to every Story.  If you are still living and breathing then your Story is not finished!
 

I challenge you to find someone close to you and ask them if you can tell them a Story. I challenge you to find someone close to you and ask them to tell you their Story. And, then, I’d love to hear the Story of how that worked out for you!


Run Strong! (And tell Stories!)

No comments:

Post a Comment