Wednesday, April 30, 2014

KISS

steve-jobs-simpleI’ve always loved the phrase, “Keep It Simple, Stupid!” (or KISS for short).  It’s a reset button for times when I’m feeling overwhelmed or stressed out.  It helps me refocus, clear out the clutter, and just find a way to take the next step and move forward.  It’s why I was drawn to read the book "Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple’s Success" by Ken Segal, who worked with Steve Jobs as ad agency creative director for Apple. (FYI: It’s a fantastic book, especially if you’re in the sales/marketing line of work.)  Segal tells stories of Steve Job’s absolute insistence on Simplicity.  He would wield what co-workers called a Simple Stick, sometimes brutally, but always effectively.

Just RunWell, in the weeks since my Marathon (and since getting medically ‘cleared’), I’ve hit my runs with the Simple Stick.  I’ve intentionally made the decision to Keep It Simple, Stupid and run – just run.  No music, no GPS or timer.  And, let me say it has been incredibly refreshing!  There is a freedom to just enjoy the run and not worry about how fast I’m going or how far.  And there’s no music to distract me from my thoughts or to take away from the sounds of nature (or traffic…) around me.  After the months of training I’ve put in, I definitely needed to Just Run.

So here’s the question: What else in my life needs to be hit with the Simple Stick?  What things in your life need to be hit with the Simple Stick?  What would we enjoy that much more if we did?  Hey, it’s Christmas, the Holidays or whatever you celebrate, which in its simplest form is supposed to be about…what?  Are we making it more complicated than it needs to be?  What would it look like if we keep it simple, stupid and give it a giant wallop with the Simple Stick?

“Simplicity allows people to focus on one thing.  Conversely, focusing on one thing helps achieve Simplicity.”      ~Ken Segal 

I'm sure I’ll add the gadgets back in soon as I set my eyes on the next race or goal, but for now it’s just me, a pair of shoes and some pavement.

Run Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment